Thursday, June 21, 2012

Not Perfect

Most of our ancestors were not perfect ladies and gentlemen. The majority of them weren't even mammals. Robert Anton Wilson.

I knew that it would happen sooner or later. I knew it because I am not perfect. There, I've said it. Out loud.

I. am. not. perfect.

I spent money. A lot of money. On not so important things. Although I did buy 2 gifts. And not a thing for me personally. And everything was on sale. But I still spent out of my weekly budget. And it was not a small amount.

I went to a well known surf shop to get a "grown up present" for my nearly 16 year old nephew. I got him a lovely mans wallet that was not on sale - for $30. Yet there WERE bargains to be had and I am afraid I got sucked in. I spent $40 on a jumper for my husband (reduced from $120), $34 on a jumper for my friends gorgeous son for his birthday (reduced from $70 - I know, for a kids jumper!) and $10 on a surf t-shirt for my little man which I will wrap up for his birthday(reduced from $30). $114. In one hit. Practically my whole grocery shop for a fortnight. ON GIFTS. However, I would like to notice that I did 'save' approx. $136 for my purchases by buying them during sale time. That's got to count for something doesn't it?

However, I didn't stop spending there.

I bought myself lunch. And a soft drink. $12. (It was yum!)

So. What do I have to learn from my experience? I'm not perfect. I will have some slip ups. I didn't continue spending beyond that and I won't spend for a long while now. Now I have 3 birthday gifts under my belt (purchase for hubby was just a splurge) and I know the recipients will LOVE the gifts bought. I think that I may need to budget for a splurge every now and then. Even if it is for just lunch. I have learnt that I need to be kinder to myself when I do slip up and just get right back to where I was before. And I had a really, really enjoyable lunch. Really.

Life is like that sometimes. But it 's the lessons learnt from our trip-ups that prove invaluable.

I'm not perfect. But who is?

A great blog to read for encouragement even on the darkest days....
http://www.thesimpledollar.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment