Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Food for thought

If I made a list of the people I admire, Mom would probably fill up half of it. She could do anything and everything. Patsy Cline.

After a short break, it's time to get the house back in order. And that means filling the fridge and feeding the family. There was a time when I never would have thought of cutting back on groceries to save money. I am a lover of food (as I have mentioned in previous entries -  often!) and grocery shopping was a pleasure. I would buy what I thought we might need- and then some. I loved to try new products, ice cream, yummy cheeses, dips, you name it. And I shopped most nights. It was a treat to myself. However, because I was shopping and not knowing what was in my cupboards or fridge, I was also over-buying and then having to dispose of food which was wasted, going off or not required.
Dispose. Throw away. Chuck out.

*Australians throw out 4.45 million tonnes of food every year (source: What A Waste! Australia Institute Report)
*Approximately 936 kilograms of food is discarded by each Australian household (source: National Waste Report 2010 Fact Sheet)
* The value of the food Australian's discard each year is estimated to be around $5.2 billion (source: What A Waste! Australia Institute Report) 
http://www.abc.net.au/tv/hungrybeast/stories/beast-file-food-waste/

Can you believe those figures? This tip isn't just about the money. It's about preventing the amazing food waste that is happening in this world. And it's as easy as a list.

Frugal tip number nine - always, always shop with a list. This sounds like a given yet so many of us don't. It's important to write a list and then follow it. Not over-buy, not be influenced by impulse buying, not shopping without a plan. And when you write that list, take into account a few things.

1. How many meals do you need to plan for and how people are you planning for?
If you shop weekly - that 7 breakfasts, 7 lunches, 7 dinners. 2 adults - 1 child. Easy yeah?
Make a list of recipes for these meals and the ingredients and then list them.

2. What ingredients do you already have in the house?
Keep a stock take of what you have already - rough or otherwise. Then you aren't doubling up only something you already need, taking up freezer space for the something you already have and rotating your food to make sure your ingredients doesn't go off!

It makes sense doesn't it? Yet how many of us really do it? I have made excuses for it. Don't have time to plan, would rather be spontaneous, not sure what I would feel like for dinner until that day.
But I have found it only takes me 15 minutess at the most to plan for a 2 week shop. I first have a quick look over the food I already have in stock.  I list 11 meals I may like to cook based on what I already have in. (11 and not 14 because we have 3 days of what I call 'anything night' - left overs, baked beans etc.) I then work out what I need to buy to make these recipes including breakfasts and lunches. I include milk, bread and other basics. The list is completed with any snacks, toiletries, nappies, pet food and cleaning products (not so many of these anyhow - see future frugal tip). Over a short period of time, I am able to plan 2 weeks in advance ....and stick to it! I have more room in my pantry and fridge, we always have enough and I am no longer wasting food! I no longer fill my wheelie bin each week. Not even halfway. We eat EVERYTHING!

And guess what? I have cut over $100 a fortnight on basic groceries. $200 a month. $2400 a year.

Now that's what I call a saving - money wise and earth wise.

Fascinating figures on food waste in Australia...
http://www.abc.net.au/tv/hungrybeast/stories/beast-file-food-waste/

No comments:

Post a Comment