Friday, June 15, 2012

Generic Schmeric

All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.  Winston Churchill.


Frugal tip number eleven is a pretty simple one - when buying groceries, buy generic or buy discount.
The easiest place I have found to make cuts in my life is with my groceries. I have written about the success I have found in writing a menu plan and a list (and sticking to it!). Now I want to let you in on how I have cut my grocery bills by 25% again. Yep - a quarter. I now do the majority of my shop in discount stores.

The major discount store in our area is Aldi. I love it and have organised my lists on what is available in my local store. I buy all our staples and find they compare well with brand name products found in the major supermarkets. Sometimes you can save over half the cost of an item. The major supermarkets I feel have tapped into Aldi's popularity and now offer a great range of generic or "home brand products" - especially milk, bread and cereals . I still find Aldi cheaper but if I cannot find something in Aldi, I always check out the generic brand at another supermarket.  And while I am in there I will check out their specials too (but only if they fit my fortnightly meal planner!).

I have also discovered another fantastic frugal alternative to the major supermarkets and those are the discount stores that stock discontinued, unpopular or close-to use by date products. There are a few of these in my area - the most popular being NQR (Not Quite Right) stores. I love these stores and generally go before I write up my menu plan for the fortnight. Why before? Because I don't generally buy more than 5 to 10 items in these stores and I ensure they are written into the meal plan afterward. These stores are also fantastic for very cheap cleaning products (which I am weaning myself from- see future frugal tip) and toiletries. I love picking up deodorants for under $2 and last week I bought a 5 pack of popular brand soap for $1.20! More than half the price in the supermarket. Washing detergent is also very cheap - 8 litres for $4 - and I find it cleans just as well as the major brands.

I am not one of those people who takes any notice of used by dates or best before dates. I use my senses to tell me if food is okay or not - I look at it, smell it, feel it and taste it. To me, these dates help the manufacturer or store rotate their stock and are not an interpretation of food quality or safety. Obviously, there are some things I do observe used dates for - most dairy foods (although I find most products last up to 7 days after an expiry date- again, I use my smell and taste to judge) and meat (although most of my meat is bought close to date and frozen immediately after purchase with no problems). Using common sense is the best way to judge if a food is edible or not. If in doubt, throw it out. But I find this seldom happens.

By using this tip,  I can cut another 25% off my grocery bill. Saving $50 a month. An extra $600 a year. It all adds up!

Interested in taking it one step further? Read this fantastic article on "freeganism".

http://www.shoestringmag.com/living-on-less/live-free-or-buy-a-guide-the-good-life-less                                                           

No comments:

Post a Comment