Friday, June 1, 2012

30 days have.....and have not

30 days have September, April, JUNE and November.

June. What a perfect month to begin being frugal. And 30 days gives me just enough time to make some exciting changes. Each day this month I will try to implement a thrifty tip and carry these through to the rest of the month. These tips will (most probably) be extremely easy changes I can make to my day to day living, in the hope of beginning my frugal adventure.


Frugal tip number 1- Keep track of all expenses. 
I have actually been doing this for the past month and what an awful, horrid, awkward yet enlightening experience this has been. It has proven to me that I have been practising limited control over my finances, that I spend an unbelievable amount on take away food and that I spend lavishly on gifts - for everyone I know (even my mechanic - I know - go figure).

I also found that I spend much more on my groceries than I thought, that I have a thing for shoes that cost under $10 (4 pairs in a week)  and that I had no idea I was spending three whole hours of my working wage, earning enough just to pay for my credit card interest each month.

I found that keeping a written record of my expenses sometimes (and I mean sometimes) made me think twice before purchasing something because I knew I would have to record it at some point later. Knowing I would have to face up to it later was also off putting. Like now for instance.

I will continue to record all of my expenses. Firstly, so that I can see where I am spending my money.
Secondly, I want (and need) to spend less than last month- this can be my comparison table. And thirdly, because I really do believe I may finally embarrass myself into not spending my hard earned cash on things I can't remember buying- until I see it written on my list!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment