Saturday, January 12, 2013

Mother knows best

Babies are always more trouble than you thought - and more wonderful. ~ Charles Osgood 

When we found out we were going to have baby number two we felt infinitely blessed. To me it was a wonderful gift. However, not all people felt the same. Some people focused on the fact my husband was still unwell and not working and thought it best to tell me we were making a mistake- that children cost money and it was not fair to bring a child into this world while we were in our situation. I have paraphrased what one person ACTUALLY said but you get the drift.

I was so angry, and I guess I still am. Since my husband has been unable to work I have been worried about money but I have never worried about providing what my son or children need - because what they need is love.

Yes, food and shelter and clothing are an important part of their care but that is all part of the love I provide. My son (and future baby) will know they are loved, and adored and blessed because they have a Mummy and a Daddy and that they are wanted. Not because it was an opportune time financially to have a child but because Mummy and Daddy were fortunate to have the chance to welcome them into this world and to love them with all that they have. When my parents found out they were to have both myself and my brother they didn't worry if it was a good time to so financially. They were both blue collar workers- my Mum in a factory, my Dad as a Postman by day and Taxi driver by night. They had a home loan at 18.9 % (yeah, I know) and had all the same money woes that I may be experiencing. However, my brother and I didn't know any of this at the time. All we knew was that we were wanted, and adored, and loved. I always remember my childhood as wonderful.

And that is what I will provide for my children.

I don't live in fantasy land.  I know I will need to have savings to cover the mortgage while I take a few months off to be with my new baby. I know that there will be extra costs that babies are always associated with - and that an extra little person in the house will add to our (already tight) budget. But hey, I'm not living the frugal way for nothing! And to me the blessing of another child is worth more than all the riches in the world.

I will be sharing my saving for baby journey here.....stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment