Thursday, January 17, 2013

Hard Up kids

It's seems that I may have touched a nerve with some people in stating that I don't believe that children need to have a million dollars spent on them to make them happy and contented human beings. It is an interesting discussion and one I believe with never be agreed upon. Let me just say, that my opinions are my own and if you do not like it, please do not keep reading. I am all for healthy debate but if you become insulting and nasty I will NOT continue the argument. (Just to be clear - this is in real life as well as in blogging/facebook/twittering land).

My son is four years old and has grown up very lucky indeed. He does want for anything. He has a roof over his head, food in his tummy, clothes on his back and a multitude of toys, crafts and thing-a-ma-bits to entertain  him on a daily basis. Mostly, he has love, My husband and I adore, idolise and cherish him. As my husband is still not well and I need to work, Ol is looked after by his Dad a few days a week. These are what Ol calls "his most favourite" days.

Can I please share you with a secret? Sometimes, I think that my husbands illness has been the best thing for our little family. Not that I like to see my husband in pain - no it's not that. It is that he gets to spend so much time with our son and I love watching the two of them building lego castles, drawing robots and playing make believe. I feel that Ol is so lucky to be able to spend so much quality time with his Dad before he begins school....and I thank the fates that be for that. Often, my husband will tell me he feels like a failure because he can't work and "provide" for his family. I always answer that our son doesn't need him to provide anything - except love and affection.

Two really interesting blogs talk about this - this continue the conversation:
http://agirlcalledjack.com/
www.freeourkids.co.uk
 and a great article:
http://www.theage.com.au/lifestyle/life/raising-kids-for-free-why-i-wont-be-spending-money-on-my-son-in-2013-20130116-2cs9a.html

1 comment:

  1. I'm stalking your blogs!! I'm sorry to hear your husband hasn't been well. :(

    Some people (ex boyfriends, to be exact) tell me that my kids are spoiled rotten, but they're not. Their favorite toys are rocks, sticks and boxes, so why spend money on junky toys that they'll appreciate for a day and then break? Their favorite toys at the moment are these mini curtain rods that I removed from the skylights. Now they are swords (with strict instructions not to hit anything or any body)...

    We pass the clothes back and forth through the cousins, so my kids regularly wear hand-me-downs. They will develop a fashion sense of their own one day, and then maybe I'll indulge them a *little*, but only if it's within some reasonable budget. :) I'm all for frugality, in general and in principle. :)

    ReplyDelete